Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Adventures of Billy & Ariff - PT1

Ok! Let me walk you through my day.


I'm back on the Streets right? Now, just for those who havent already worked it out, I do this "Street Photography thing" for kicks, and my personal pleasure, and for no other end. I just enjoy it. So, I'm back out there, and I am 'street combing' all the people for possible photo opportunities. Again, the day is drawing to an end.


By this time, I have run into a guy, selling "The Big Issue" who would do better at convincing me that I should start to use sand paper to wipe my bum,


Got talking to a frenchman, who I just ended up agree with (not exactly sure what I was contracting myself into),




And tried to get a photo of an interesting looking dude... But I failed... So I got a photo of his feet... *grin sneaks across my face, with a hint of satisfaction*:






Your'e looking at this, and yes. I laid down on the ground to get a photo of this dude's feet... But "Damn! You say! That is a fine photo of his' feet!"






But! The coolest run-in that I had on this day, was with a man that I now have the privilege of calling a friend. So, I'm snapping up a picture of this busker. Right?:



Yes.. Laying on the ground again... and yes people looked at me funny...

And I'm showing this dude my pics, and I spot a guy out the corner of my eye bending waaaay down on one knee to get a photo of that bronze statue on Hay St. So, I think "Cool". The light is beautiful, the dude looks pretty interesting, and the statue is an Icon of Perth anyways. Perfect photo opportunity. I slap on my ninja shoes, and kinda sneak-run up behind this guy while he's taking this photo, and just as I start to bring my camera around off my shoulder, he turns around.
And you know there is that moment of real awkwardness, and kinda 'Oh-crap,-you-weren't-meant-to-turn-around-yet-ness'.
In my mind I'm thinking "Please be co-operative mate. I'm trying to get a photo of you."

He's looking pretty rugged, and looks a little dangerous. Even got a bit of a Mediterranean kinda look going on with his hair pulled back into a tail. Does this phase me? Not at all. I'm a man. I think "this guy doesnt intimidate me at all", and so I man up, and say:

"Oh. Sorry dude... Ahhh crap..."

Haha. So, I (with my quick witted-ness) make it not so awkward, and get talking about photography (obviously a passion that we both share). Turns out, hes a really cool dude, and he was just out doing the same thing as I was. All the way from Malaysia, and on a working trip. Just out taking photos of anyone, and everyone, while he had some time off. 
This kind just blew me out aye. I was so surprised that someone else would be out doing the same thing as me at the same place, and that of all things, we would cross paths! So anyways, we end up hanging out for the rest of the day, and drove over to the other side of the river to get this shot with him:



I get talking to him through out this, and we're both learning heaps from each other. I mean, the thing that impressed me most with Ariff is his passion for photography. Of his own admission, there is still so much to learn for him but man! I tell you what. That guy is inspiring! He is just so passionate about photography that is puts me to shame.

So, yeah. That is about it. My meeting with Ariff Abu. A foreign friend, with a fellow interest. Very cool guy to meet, and I am privileged to have met him, and the small impact that he has had on me and my view of photography was quite significant.

So. Without further ado, I give you Mr. Abu:



PT 2 (Freemantle) to come soon

4 comments:

  1. P.S.

    The obscenely HUGE photo looks alot better like that. Other wise it would have just been the same size as the photo of the dude's feet... So... Yea. Please excuse the haneous-ness of it.

    Much Sincerilicousness,

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahahahahahaha....sweet!!!
    speechless for the time being..

    i'm keep smiling and laughing right now..!!!

    hahahhaha...crap...(will be right back)..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey dude

    1st of all..very2 great to meet you..
    such a crappy frenz..hahhaha..just joking..
    u are awesome man..just see in this blog..
    pretty cool man..very nice pictures that i never realize before (except my pic..im not good enough to be a talent hahahha)...lot of idea and knowledges that i grab from you..all the artwork is awesome..you must blow it to the world..show it..you are talented buddy..
    and..ahh..thanks..for the whole days..the bridge..Perth..Fremantle...everything..i will be there again...and hope..together with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha thanks mate. Yeah I really enjoyed it aye. Had a great time :) and look forward to meeting up again. Maybe I'll be in Malaysia, and we can meet up? That'd be cool. That way, you can show me around :) yea boi.

    ReplyDelete